Sunday, May 25, 2008

Good Intentions Arugula Soup


So I have this problem (I'm sure I'm not alone in this) where I always buy way too much produce than I can use. It stems from good intentions - to eat fresh and healthy. But sometimes the last thing I want to think about is how to use those items before they go bad.

Luckily, my brother was watching Giada on the Food Network last week, and in my grand lazy tradition, I just couldn't be bothered to get off the couch to do something else. The episode was all about how to use leftovers, and one recipe was for lettuce soup. And what did I have in plenty in my fridge, just on the verge of no longer being edible? Lots of arugula, my favorite salad green.

I tweaked the recipe a little, especially to add my favorite arugula accompaniments - honey and pecorino. The original recipe calls for little disks of goat cheese to top the soup, so give it a try either way.

Arugula Soup adapted from Everyday Italian

1 Tbsp olive oil
1 large or 2 small shallots, diced
2 large potatoes, peeled and diced
4 cups chicken stock
washed and dried arugula (about 6 ounces)
salt and pepper
honey
pecorino Romano cheese

In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add shallots and cook until shallots begin to brown. Add potatoes and chicken stock and bring to a simmer over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes. Stir in arugula. When the greens are cooked down (about 3 minutes), puree with a hand blender (you can transfer the solids to a blender if you prefer). Salt and pepper to taste.

To serve, top soup with a drizzle of honey and a handful of shaved pecorino. If you put leftovers in individual containers, add honey and cheese - the cheese gets all melty when the soup is reheated.

3 comments:

Ginny said...

Haha! That always happens to be...I happen to have some arugula left over at the moment..this may just be dinner tomorrow night! Thanks for the idea!

Pam said...

Ah, you got sucked into the good intentions arugula too! Giada also recommends using other greens in addition, so try it with whatever you have around. Let me know how it goes!

R/T said...

I made this with a bumper crop of arugula from the garden. I substituted garlic for shallots and added a dollop of greek yogurt. Tasty!